Older Posts

Sunday, September 16, 2012

1 Month in Tahiti Pt4: Loosing my religion


Or possibly my sanity...

If pilgrimages to Mecca, Jerusalem or Disneyworld be there's then this be mine. And If natural wonders of the world be a religion then this was for sure my Mecca.....a once in a lifetime must.

'Code red' Teahupoo

Teahupoo doesn't look like this every day and that's why it's the über pilgrimage. All of the other wonders of the world, shy of changing light look pretty much the same 24/7. Except for the Aurora Borealis which for me is the only equal wonder requiring such a perfect orchestration of nature's forces.


Closer to the earth's surface and the first part needed to send Teahupoo 'Code red' is the wind (Meteorology). That of sufficient strength and direction to create swell a couple of thousand miles to the south of Tahiti. Next up Oceanography - the phenomena that is the 'organising' of waves as they propagate through the ocean. And almost finally, the crazy anomaly that is this one perfectly shaped bit of coral reef off the south west coast of Tahiti-Iti (Geography). And finally at the reef, a light offshore wind. 
They are all blocks in a finely balanced Jenga pile. If any piece wrong, the whole pile falls.

I had a 1 month....

Jackpot!
Firstly I had to get out to the wave as it's about 1/2 a mile away from shore. Huge ocean swells create such a current in the lagoon that it was a job not to get scraped over the reef even on the paddle out. Washed out to sea in a semi controlled fashion we drifted towards the haze. Once at the edge we realised it contained the international surfing circus, who'd flown in especially for the huge 4-5m glass like swell. A mirror image of the picture hanging in our living room at home in Glasgow.

A holy grail

Proximity to the coral reef is what makes this wave different. Tsunami style, the sea level drops before each set wave and creates what feels like a landmass of ocean moving beneath you. With all that movement, concentration is the name of the game as to be drilled into the reef by that lip could kill you. 
Next to the swimming photographers I got the full front cover view. Staring into that cavernous barrel below I saw faces filled with fear like I'd never seen before. I drifted too close once and after paddling for what felt like my life, I shook uncontrollably with fright for 5 mins.

It takes the widescreen of reality to really digest what happens there. It feels pointless to try and articulate to you what was simultaneously the most beautiful and most powerful 'thing' I've ever seen in my life. 


'#### ##### #### me!'

I hadn't been that excited since university when I stumbled into a Taste* after party to find out that Dave Clark was on the Essential Mix**! To form I wasn't short of verbal reaction on the day, but it was the day after where all I could do was to sit, gulp air and reflect in awe at what I'd witnessed.

And I didn't even surf it....

The world has thousands of waves, why Teahupoo? Easy; the power of a wave is articulated in the thickness of the lip (see a.), they don't come thicker. Secondly point b. which is the 3-4ft deep water and coral reef (i.e. death).

force and beauty

On this scale, the most powerful waves on the planet articulate the combined force and beauty inherent in nature like none other of the popularised 7 natural wonders of the world. Get it on the list.


* Every discerning Dundee students pilgrimage on a Saturday night. Basically a Student's Union disco.
** Late Saturday night Radio, showcasing 2hr mixes by the world's finest DJs.

No comments:

Post a Comment