Older Posts

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sharkspotting: Release your inner Begbie


I had an epiphany the other day. 
 
Organised snorkeling tours in the Galapagos where as part of a group you encounter a couple of reef sharks the size of your leg:  
Good.

Solo snorkeling off the edge of some almost unpopulated mid pacific atoll, far from the boat with a shoal of large sharks checking out how much effort it will take to eat you: Bad.

Yup. Unexpectedly about seven or so full sized black tipped reef sharks came in from all directions. In clearer water than I could have ever imagined existed they floated in from a far like some futuristic war machines. Total stealth in movement and form. I knew sharks could sense fear, I knew this type attacked a fellow snorkeler somewhere I had been three weeks previous and I was too aware of the distance over a deep channel back to the boat, so I set about trying to control my heartbeat. They were so onto me as I inched myself back in the direction of our boat. This isn't a place commonly snorkeled, I'm a colorful, moving, splashing, foreign object that's descended upon their turf, these lads were hunters and they were not interested in me for my personality.

I managed slowly to exit stage left, never taking my eye off the closest and then entered deep water to cross the channel back to the boat. Bricking it. Upon return the relief of escape turned to a sense of a missed opportunity. I'd been overmastered/ dominated by, on that day, the higher species. A rare opportunity to hang out with majestic predators, missed, coz I hadn't had the peanuts.


It's two worlds and I've only the camera for one of them

Recounting this to a seasoned spear-fisherman that evening I got the required pep talk. “This isn't a great white, it's just a black tipped reef shark. Yes they are checking out how easy a meal you will be, but they don't like effort, so if you adjust your behavior accordingly and become the aggressor, they'll be no harm”. 
Easier said than done.

That night I lay in bed considering moments where I'd been similarly challenged and tried to draw from those. What came to mind was 'takin it' to those Ecuadorian vermin that had sneaked into my room and stole cash*. Traveling makes you aware of your Scottish-ness like nothing else and it leads to situations where one appears to turn instinctively to stereotypes for strength. On that occasion in Ecuador and on this again I went straight for Begbie (Robert Carlyle in the Scottish film 'Trainspotting'**).

Inspirational

So in that sense I chucked the proverbial pint glass over the balcony and set out the next morning back over to the reef for the inevitable confrontation.

Eventually they arrived. Physically, I hovered tall in the water, not hunched together like the day before. I held my arms out open wide but slightly lowered, hands also open wide. I supplemented that with menacingly direct eye contact and a forward stabbing motion of my head - right at 'em'. Mentally, I punctuated the stabbing motion with phrases a little bit sharp for publication however along the lines of;

“Wh yi fcn lookin at?”


               “I'll bite yer face ya wee hunt”

               “Fcn come on then – eh – eh”

               “Come any fcn closer and I'll rip you fcn wide”





I did stop short of suggesting that they may “bring me ma cigarettes”. 
You have no idea just how successful it was. I stayed this time and enjoyed the show (still bricking it really) but following the above any time one thought it be hard enough to come see about 'avin' a go.

A true interaction back down on a level where 'survival of the fittest' is still the rule. And ultimately refreshing that even though I'm a pacifist at heart I'm still in touch with my 'inner Begbie'.

Don't try this at the weekend...





**I'm really sorry if you read this and haven't seen Trainspotting (1996). I'd wholeheartedly recommend it as a look into a darker side of Scottish culture and with slightly more believable hard men than Groundskeeper Willie from The Simpsons. If you haven't the time then try below.
Must watch
Not for the faint of heart

No comments:

Post a Comment