Older Posts

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hospitalidad

In a place far away

Unsurprisingly in Spanish this means hospitality.

It wasn't until my treatment in the mountain village of Yanama (3500m) that I contemplated the significance of the suffix 'dad'. It's almost like they take it literally - start acting like fathers and treat all those who they wish to be hospitable towards - like sons.



This list could be longer however in the form of a summary I present you my top 5 examples of this fatherly phenomenon.


1) The local council's free internet access was out of order so they said, “any time you want to use the internet 'son' just throw this guy off his desk and use his computer”. Day after day this went on without so much as a grumble.

2) “Our teams are all all selected for the monthly (win a sheep) football tournament but that's no problem – you can take my place”.

Tea Time

3) “ah...interesting, you like different varieties of tea. So, in the morning Michael I'll take you round my mates gardens (including the ex mayor's) and pick a variety of herbal teas”.
Not my 'cut of tea' but a nice gesture.




4) Yanama really is into the wild, its only direct access is through a 4200m mountain pass. The result is; their gene pool is in need of a bit of diversity.
After the above mentioned football, one of the teachers from the local agricultural college said, “the girls are going on a mountain walk in the morning – you're welcome to join and if you like one; feel free to make a move”.

5) Due to a lack of ATM's I'm short of money and have no kit to climb the 5750m peak that's sort of on the way back to civilization. “No problem 'son', it's our mate that runs the (normally £30/night) mountain hut, just tell him I sent you and they'll see you get everything you need” crazy, I stayed 5 nights for £10 and also got my boots, crampons and axe.

Hospitality redefined?
Although as I was the first gringo to spend more than an hour in the town for almost a year is it any wonder that I was treated like the prodigal son – returned?

No comments:

Post a Comment